Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

Today I am truly thankful for my God, my family, my friends, my home, and all the rest of the usual things that people are thankful for.

But the truth is, today specifically I am most thankful for kindness. The kindness shown by others, and the fact that we are able to choose kindness, and in so choosing, are blessed beyond measure.

As my parents are away this Thanksgiving (and the rest of my family is in Canada and celebrated last month) I was going to be alone for Thanksgiving. I probably would have spent it with the folks at BBC while eating jam on toast. But instead I got an invite to dinner from some folks at the church I just started attending. Without hesitation or question, they showed me the kindness of inviting me to spend time with their family on this day that is usually all about family. And that's just it, they see me as family.

Kindness tends to do that. It transforms a stranger into a friend. And it doesn't have to be a big show of anything; it's just simple, quiet kindness. But it moves me beyond what I can express. And I'm grateful.

I hope and pray that each and every one of you will reach out to someone who is alone this Thanksgiving. Even if it's just a kind word or gesture, a small gift, or an invite to a family dinner, make someone who is alone feel loved. It is worth more than anything in the world. And I trust that when the time comes, I will open my home to someone in need.

Matthew 25:35-40

"for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in...assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

2 comments:

  1. I miss you! Are you living in the states now? Mark and I moved to Saskatchewan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca! I'm so glad to have stumbled upon your blog! I love you and I love your writing style. I love how raw you are and vulnerable. I. LOVE. THAT. See ya sometime soon girl! Samantha

    ReplyDelete