Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New

I am amazed at the perspective we gain when we are graced with the presence of new life. My sister's first arrived on his due date, perfectly formed. Every eyelash was in place. It makes you realize that from the point of conception to the point of birth, microscopic changes are occurring inside a woman to form a human being with a personality, a soul.

One of the moments that will go down in my personal history books is lying on a king sized bed with my sister and her son. I laid him on the covers, swaddled in his blue blanket, and I lay next to him with my arms around him smelling his wonderful, soft head. Some day he'll grow up and think I'm just his crazy aunt who just sits around laughing about nothing with his crazy mom. But I'll remember the moments I spent with him when he was too small to hold up his head. And I'll remember that I loved his entire being.

Often I slip into daydreams as though I was guided by nothing but the wind. I live in other worlds created by my own mind. I think, it's just imagination at work. I've spent many hours in that state. Living in those other worlds. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And I wouldn't dare ask anyone to give up their daydreams. But when I hold this baby and look into his tiny face, I feel the power of the present so strongly that there is no mistaking that it is an ordained, perfect moment in which innocence and love exist in the purest form. No thoughts exist but quiet, undisturbed thoughts of life.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful I remember doing the same with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations, dear Rachel!

    Rebekah, this made me sniff sniff sniff. So beautifully expressed. It makes me long to hold my own new little one. (12 weeks to go. argh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teared up I am not going to lie. Love you

    ReplyDelete